Saturday 23 January 2010

Athletics at Antrim

I attended the Antrim International Cross Country Races at the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE), at Greenmount Campus near Antrim.  This is one of the largest events in the Northern Ireland athletics calendar with more than 1,000 athletes taking part in twelve races throughout the day.

David Seaton, chair of Athletics NI, accompanied me during the afternoon and I presented the prizes to the winners of the senior women's race. 

The event is one of eleven cross country races authorised by the International Association of Athletic Federations and the fourth meeting in the McCain UK Cross Challenge Series.  I must commend Athletics Northern Ireland on such as well-organised event and the sponsors, Antrim Borough Council and McCain.

The McCain company was founded in Canada by a family with Ulster roots and I will set out something of those roots in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment